It’s easy to lose A LOT of sleep trying to find the best mattress for side sleepers.
Those that love to sleep on their side are going to have a much bigger challenge finding a mattress that fits them right down to the ground compared to those that can sleep on their back or they are stomach.
With so little surface area in contact with the mattress compared to back and stomach sleepers, there’s going to be a lot of pressure exerted on a side sleeping mattress. Your mattress needs to be able to handle that pressure perfectly or you’ll end up tossing and turning all night long.
This quick guide is going to outline all of the inside information you need to make buying the best mattress for side sleepers a lot easier.
Just use of this detailed information to compare all of the different options available out there (especially the best side sleeping mattresses we highlight below) and you’ll be able to get a MUCH better night’s sleep almost immediately.
Shall we dive right in?
What exactly is conformability?
As we highlighted above, you need to make sure that you are spending the bulk of short time researching side sleeping mattresses focused on the “conformability” of the mattresses themselves.
When you sleep on your back or your stomach, your body is going to be exerting all of your weight across a much larger area. The mattresses going to have a much easier time distributing that weight across the rest of the mattress, and you aren’t going to sink in as much as you would have if you were sleeping on your side.
When you sleep on your side, however, those mattresses that perfectly cradle your body on your back and stomach are going to become beds of nails – literally shooting pain throughout your body just because they want designed to fight back against this pressure placed on such a small area.
Conformability simply ranks just how effective a particular mattress is at spreading out this pressure even when it’s placed on such a small area. The more conforming a mattress is the more it’s able to gently cradle your body in any position.
When that rating isn’t all that high you need to do your best to stay away if you’ll be sleeping on your side!
What should I look for in a side sleeper mattress?
A lot of people confuse conformability and support that a mattress provides, but honestly they are to really different things.
You’re not only going to want to make sure that your mattress offers plenty of conformability but you’re also going to want to make sure that it provides you with plenty of support as well.
Conform-ability of their as we’ve touched on above) is related to the ability of your mattress to adapt to larger amounts of pressure on smaller areas, but support is its ability to effortlessly distribute that weight across your mattress so that you sleep easy no matter what.
You’re also going to want to look into:
- Motion separation solutions that help you sleep easier with a partner in bed, especially if one (or both) of you happen to toss and turn more than the other
- Temperature controlling materials that even out your body temperature while you sleep so that you’re always perfectly comfortable no matter what the temperature is like in your room
- Edge support design elements so that you don’t have to worry about feeling like you’re rolling off the side of your bed when you really stretch out
… And that’s just the tip of the iceberg!
It’s also obviously important that you purchase a quality mattress manufactured using only the best components possible.
There is a world of difference between a cheap spring mattress made overseas and a high quality and high density gel memory foam mattress made right here in the United States and you’ll notice that difference immediately – as well as every time you lay down on the mattress itself!
Tried to find side sleeping mattresses that use environmentally friendly materials if at all possible. Always be sure to purchase the best mattresses for side sleepers that release the fewest amount of chemicals or gases into your sleeping area, with a real focus on low VOC mattresses if you want to stay completely safe at night!
After that you’ll need to focus on the overall durability and warranty of the mattresses that you have the chance to purchase. This is the kind of investment to you’re going to be making in yourself for years and years to come, and you need to be able to depend on it for a decade or longer without having to throw it out and replace it sooner than expected.
Breaking down different firmness levels
There are all different kinds of ways to describe the overall comfort and firmness levels that you’ll be able to get out of a particular mattress, but generally mattress manufacturers will break them down by these descriptive terms:
- Firm Mattresses – The stiffest of all the mattresses you’ll find on the market today, they are designed to be as bouncy and resilient as possible without any “give”
- Medium Mattresses – The “Goldilocks Level” of firmness for the majority of folks out there, these mattresses aren’t overwhelmingly staff but aren’t a cotton ball, either. They offer plenty of support but also cradle the body – critical for side sleepers
- Soft Mattresses – These mattresses are the softest, the fluffy is just, and usually the lightest of all the different mattresses you’ll have the chance to buy. They do a great job at cradling the body but aren’t so hot for supporting you when sleeping on your side
Here are some of the best mattress for side sleepers!
#1. – Sleep Innovations Shea 10” Memory Foam Mattress
- When it comes to comfort, there may not be a more comfortable side sleeping mattress available on the market today. This cradles and supports your body in any position with a medium firmness level.
- Designed to last for at least 20 years without any decline in durability, this is a well-made mattress.
- This memory foam mattress provides 20 years of little support as well as a full warrantee to protect your investment.
- Relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other options out there, this is a premium level mattress at a surprisingly low price tag.
The Sleep Innovations memory foam mattress offers a medium firmness level that gently cradles your body while sleeping on your side but remains plenty comfortable enough for those that sleep on their stomach or back as well as those that toss and turn all night long.
#2. – Serta 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress with Deluxe Cover
- Revolutionary new gel material provides memory foam stability with the effortless ability to cool you down while you sleep
- Built by one of the biggest names in the mattress world, the durability of this mattresses off the charts
- You know exactly what you’re buying when you purchase a Serta mattress but this one comes with a full 20 year warranty and complete customer support as well
- Priced closer to the high-end of the affordable mattress market, this gel memory foam mattress is worth every single penny
As highlighted above, anytime you purchase a Serta mattress you know exactly what you’re getting into. One of the biggest names in the mattress industry, this is a well-made, perfectly designed, and beautifully engineered gel memory foam mattress with medium firmness perfect for those that sleep on their side.
Triple layer construction with the use of gel memory foam also makes it one of the most breathable memory foam mattresses available which you are really going to love.
#3. – DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Cushion Firm Latex Mattress
- This latex mattress provides a lot of extra comfort and support that memory foam mattresses struggle with
- As far as durability is concerned, latex is a “forever product” that doesn’t degrade or breakdown over time (even with daily use)
- This latex mattress has a full 20 year warranty and the company enjoys a wonderful reputation as far as their customer service and support is concerned
- Manufactured using high-end construction materials and renewable resources that are very sustainable, this is a premium level product with an affordable premium level price tag
Though it isn’t a memory foam mattress, the latex construction material used in this product is top-notch and provides a medium level of firmness (though closer to firm than soft) that supports and cradles those that want to sleep on their side.
#4. – Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 13 Memory Foam Mattress
- This medium level firmness mattress is very comfortable, very cozy, but also resists overheating thanks to its unique open cell memory foam construction
- You won’t have any trouble whatsoever counting on this memory foam mattress for between 10 and 15 years of nightly action – that’s how durable it is!
- 100% Made in the USA, this mattress also carries a full 25 year warranty as well
- Attractively priced at that real “sweet spot” in the mattress market, you’ll have a hard time purchasing any other mattress with the blend of price and performance this one brings to the table
Those hunting for an environmentally friendly open cell memory foam mattress that isn’t going to break their bank account or degrade over time will fall in love with absolutely everything that the Brentwood Home memory foam mattress has to offer. This is a special mattress at a special price tag, that’s for sure!
#5. – Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
- Providing a gently cradling surface with a medium level of firmness (ideal for those that sleep on their side as well as those that toss and turn), this mattress is perfect for almost everyone
- Utilizing advanced deep sleep memory foam throughout, you won’t have to worry about this memory foam mattress failing you anytime soon – or any time this decade, for that matter!
- The company behind this mattress backs up their product with a complete 20 year limited warranty and offers full customer service and support for this Made in the USA product
- Attractively priced, you won’t have to spend a small fortune to get your hands on this amazing and super comfortable side sleeping mattress
Sleep Innovations products have helped this company become one of the hottest mattress brands in the business, and with great mattress options like this one it’s easy to see why.
Designed specifically for side sleepers but offering just the right amount of conform-ability, support, and temperature control capabilities it’s an ideal sleeping platform for everyone and anyone looking to get a great night’s sleep.