Your ultimate guide to buying the best portable workbenches available today.
Everything from the construction of custom furniture products to household renovations becomes a lot easier when you have one of the best portable workbenches.
By choosing the right portal workbench you’re going to be able to work much safer, much more efficiently, and we also have the ability to move and maneuver your portable workbench so that you can reconfigure your work-space as necessary to make things simple and straightforward.
Finding the best portable workbenches becomes almost effortless when you take a closer look at all of the inside information we have to offer you below.
Breaking down the best portable workbenches on the market today
Best Portable Workbench Guide
|Black & Decker WM425||Lightweight and portable||$$$||Check Price|
|Keter 17182239||Roomy workbench or bench tool stand||$$||Check Price|
|Performance Tool W54025||200 lb safe working load||$||Check Price|
|Black & Decker WM125||One of the best selling workbenches||$||Check Price|
#1. – Keter 17182239 Folding Compact Workbench Work Table
Lightweight and portable, assembly takes less than a minute
Engineered from the ground up to make your work life a lot easier, this has to be one of the most compact portable workbenches we’ve ever come across that doesn’t compromise your ability to get high-quality work done at any point in time.
- Multiple removable clamps to secure your job to the table
- Plenty of work-space to accommodate projects that would have been tough to tackle otherwise
- And advanced construction materials to make this a truly portable workshop table
… It becomes an almost no-brainer to move forward with this option!
- Folding table makes for plenty of extra space as necessary but also allows for compact storage when not in use
- Relatively inexpensive price tag makes this workbench affordable for all
- Doesn’t include casters and requires you to pack up and move it as necessary manually
- 33 1/2 by 29 ½ inch work-space isn’t quite as large as many would like
#2. – Black & Decker WM425 Workmate 425 550-Pound Capacity Portable Work Bench
The tool stand is great for working in cramped quarters
Black and Decker is one of the most trusted names in the DIYer world of tools, and it’s easy to understand why with a portable workbench like this featuring so many of the advantages that this company brings to market.
- This fold up workbench can transition from a step-stool to a legitimate workbench in less than five seconds
- Heavyweight steel construction material holds up to 550 pounds effortlessly
- One-handed clamp system makes securing work material easier than one could have ever imagined
… And that’s just the tip of the iceberg!
- The ability to safely work on up to 550 pounds of work material is almost unbelievable considering it’s incredibly compact form factor
- The one-handed clamp system works very intuitively and locks down material without any wiggle room whatsoever
- One of the best portable workbenches out there but does not have casters, an addition that would have elevated this about some of the other top contenders
- The actual work-space available (29” x 29.5”) isn’t quite as significant as many would have liked it to be
#3. – Black & Decker WM125 Workmate 125 350-Pound Capacity Portable Work Bench
For the price, sturdy and well balanced
Another beautiful portable workbench from the folks at Black and Decker, this is more of a portable sawhorse and anything else though it can be used when you’re tackling smaller and lighter weight projects.
- The jaws that are built right into the actual work-space secure all of your material without having to purchase extra clamps
- The non-skid feet are going to make sure that your portable workbench stays level and stable while working
- The fact that you can accommodate up to 350 pounds on this incredibly portable workbench is something almost unbelievable
- Designed in by both Stanley and Black and Decker, this is an intuitively put together portable workbench that does wonders when used appropriately
- This unit folds up into almost nothing and accommodates up to 350 pounds of material at a time
- Work-space is going to be quite limited considering just how small and shallow this workbench really is
- This is a more niche-based kind of project compared to a more flexible and adaptable portable workbench option
#4. – Performance Tool W54025 Portable Multipurpose Workbench and Vise
Perfect for buyers who need a compact work bench for the occasional project
One of the most creatively designed contenders for the title of the best portable workbench, this option from Performance Tools aims to handle up to 200 pounds of material, folds up into a ridiculously compact form factor, and features an intuitive to use independent jaw clamp system.
- Manufactured out of high-end steel but remains thin
- Folds up into the form factor of a set of sawhorses
- Priced inexpensively enough for every budget unimaginable
- A multipurpose workbench that can be used in a variety of different ways in even the tightest of spaces and confines
- Printed grid, ruler, and protractor on the work surface makes cuts and measuring effortless
- Isn’t quite broad enough to accommodate bigger pieces of construction material or larger projects
- May not be stable enough for larger scale development jobs
Portable Workbench Buying Considerations
When you get right down to it you need to make sure that you are purchasing only the very best portable workbenches available on the market today, and that means buying your next portable workbench from a company that you know you are going to be able to trust.
Companies like the ones we mentioned above (Keter, Black and Decker, Performance Tool) and others – the Craftsman brand, DeWalt, and a handful of other top tool manufacturers that have jumped headfirst into the world of portable workbenches – are all brands you know you’re going to be able to trust.
As far as choosing your next portable workbenches to surface material is concerned, you’re going to have two viable options to pick from – metal and wood.
Metal surfaces are going to stand up to daily abuse and damage much better than wooden surfaces will, but are going to be considerably heavier and may not be all that safe to cut on top of if you don’t set your blade to the appropriate depth.
Wooden surfaces aren’t going ever to threaten to damage your tools, but they may be a little bit heavier, and metal surfaces and definitely won’t be able to handle the same load.
Regardless of the surface material that you choose you to need to be 100% certain that you take advantage of construction materials that are going to be very safe and very stable. High-end tubular steel, aluminum, and even hardwood building materials can provide you with the rock-solid base you’re looking for from a portable system.
You’ll also want to think about the different advantages and drawbacks between portable workbenches that have solid feet and those that have locking casters attached. The feet units are going to be more stable inherently, but the casters will allow for much more effortless portability.
As with most things, it’s all going to come down to what you are looking to get out of the best of the portable workbenches out there.
How to Assemble Your WorkBench